Heart disease and stroke are the #1 and #3 killers, taking nearly one million people each year just in the US. The loss of nearly 1,400 women per day in the US is almost ten times as many as breast cancer.
Here are the general heart attack and stroke symptoms and risk factors.
Heart attack symptoms
- Men's typical symptoms: Chest pain and sweats
- Women's symptoms are subtle and easily-missedUse the word LIFE to remember
- L: Left painarm/shoulder/jaw/shoulder blade
- I: Indigestion/nausea
- F: Fatigue/sleeplessness
- E: Exertion/short of breath
- numbness in face, arm, or leg (one or both sides of body)
- trouble speaking, seeing, or walking
- severe headache
Risk factors for heart attack and stroke
- High blood pressure
- High cholesterol
- Family history
To learn more about the heart attack and stroke symptoms and risk factors, please check out A Woman's Guide to Saving Her Own Lifeit's good for men, too.
This information is not a substitute for medical advice, so please consult your doctor if you are having these symptoms. But if you experience these symptoms and are having a heart attack or stroke, time is of the essence.